It’s never too early to start, and never to late to learn more. Take advantage of the following programs and resources to give your child the best start possible!
All children’s programs are being done virtually until further notice. Please email email@example.com with any inquiries.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a library program that encourages local families and caregivers to read 1,000 books with their young children before they enter kindergarten. Studies have shown that families who start reading aloud to their children at birth help strengthen their language skills and build their vocabulary — two important tools when they begin learning to read in kindergarten.
The concept is simple, the rewards are priceless! Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, and/or toddler. Any book read (even repeats) by anybody counts.
Learning to read starts way before Kindergarten. Print and sound awareness, print recognition and vocabulary all come from listening to their parents talk and read to them.
Reading together is fun and will create life-long memories for both of you. What a great way to bond with your precious child curled up with you while you read together!
How does 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten work?
- Register – At the Quinte West Public Library and take home your keepsake reading log.
- Track Your Reading – Each time you read a book with your child write down the name in your reading log.
- Show us Your Reading Log – When you reach 100, 250 and 750 books bring in your reading log, get a sticker and decorate our display board.
- Reach 500 books – come to the library to collect a prize!
- Read More Books! – When you reach 1,000 books you will earn a certificate of completion as well as a free book!
There is even an iPhone app available online if you would prefer to track your reading that way!
3 books a day for 1 year = 1,095 books
1 book a day for 3 years = 1,095 books
Storytimes are being offered virtually every Monday at 10am (except for holidays) via our Facebook page. This program consists of a story read aloud, followed by a craft demonstration. This program is geared towards preschool aged children in terms of the complexity of the stories and crafts, however many older children enjoy the activities as well and are more than welcome to participate.
Show your library card and get a FREE craft kit (available at both locations while supplies last) in order to follow along with the videos. Craft kits do not include crayons, scissors, or glue. If you do not have access to those materials please let us know. No holds are available for the kits.
If you missed any of our storytimes, don’t worry, you can view past videos.
Early Literacy Kits
Early Literacy Kits are a fun way to introduce and reinforce early learning for children. They can help teach literacy skills through the use of stories, imaginative play, games, and activities. The skills learned through these kits are building blocks which will help you raise a great reader!
Each kit contains:
- picture book
- alphabet learning games or activities
- number learning games or activities
- one additional learning material, related to colours, shapes, etc
Kits are available in various themes, including but not limited to:
Search “Early literacy kit” in our catalogue to find a listing of all available kits.
Borrowing Period: 3 weeks
Things to know:
- Kits are only holdable by patrons with Quinte West Library cards
- Kits must be returned to either Trenton or Frankford
- Kits will not be considered returned until all items from the kit have been returned to the library